We are all familiar with the guilty pleasure of the classic- Ferrero Rocher chocolate covered hazelnut balls. Well here up at MoaAlm we believe in keeping comfort foods healthy with no compromise on taste. Our recipe is fast, easy to make, nourishing and naturally low in all things naughty and processed.
These balls are sweetened naturally with dates and flavoured with 100% natural ingredients, each adding their contribution to the more-ish Nutella like flavour as well as bringing an impressive list of micro-nutrients and minerals that your body (and taste-buds) will adore! By adding coconut, this helps the body access and use stored fats for energy. Your choice of nuts boosts the protein profile keeping you fuller and energised for longer, as well as satisfying your sweet cravings!
The best thing about these balls of bliss is the flexibility. Swap the choice of nuts and fruit around depending on your preference or availability. Try experimenting with textures and flavours each time you make these and you'll soon find the perfect combination for you!
2 Tbl Cacao Powder
1 Cup Medjool Dates
1/2 Cup hazelnuts
1/4 cup unsweetened Coconut, shredded or ground
1 Cup Dark Vegan Chocolate (block or chips)
1/4 cup Cashews (or Almonds)
1/3 Tsp Sea Salt
Optional but not at all necessary: You can always add a sprinkle of chia seeds into the mixture for an extra source or essential fatty acids and omega 3 boost! Another sneaky extra is a few drops of hazelnut extract- just to add an extra bit of magic to your raw balls. (Add both these in step 5)
1. Remove the stones from the medjool dates and set aside in some warm water.
2. Put the hazelnuts, and Cashews into your food processor and blitz until you reach a meal-like consistency. If you already have ground nuts, or nut flour then feel free to use these pre-made alternatives for ease or if you prefer a smoother texture.
3. Remove your ground nuts and set aside in a mixing bowl. Combine all dry ingredients together into the bowl by adding the cacao, salt and coconut.
4. Add the medjool dates to your empty food processor and mix until you reach a sticky thick paste like consistency. (soaking them in water for 5 minutes before this step really helps the dates breakdown and remould together to form the 'glue' of your raw balls)
5. Re-add your bowl of dry ingredients to your sticky dates, and blast until all the ingredients are combined and you are left with a consistent dark brown mixture.
6. Time to get your hands dirty/delicious - Remove the ingredients from your food processor and mould together with your hands to create one big ball of heavenly dough. Taking a bit at a time start to remove and roll bits of dough in your palms to create small balls. Then set aside on a piece of parchment paper.
7. Melt your vegan chocolate in a small bowl, and then dip each ball individually (we recommend a very generous dunk) coating to your satisfaction and place onto the parchment paper on top of plate or board. Once all your balls are coated, place them in the fridge for 20 minutes so the chocolate can set.
These balls can also be stored in the freezer and served as a frozen dessert!
Ps. we would love to see your creations so please feel free to share your results with us! Either via email or using the hashtag #relaxinglyactive
Happy raw cooking?!